Whether it’s a commercial roofing system or residential one, it’s inevitable that at some point your roof will deteriorate. Despite this being part and parcel of having a roof, some homeowners are still puzzled as to why their roof deteriorated to the point of needing a replacement. Luckily, there are a few suspects that can help you narrow down the possible causes.
In this post, Coleman Roofing discusses the five common causes of roof deterioration.
- Improper Attic Ventilation – Believe it or not, your attic ventilation plays an important part in keeping your roof in tact. An improperly ventilated attic can reach temperatures that can surpass 150 degrees. This kind of heat in the attic combined with the heat of the sun can accelerate the decomposition of your asphalt roof, drastically shortening its lifespan. This can result in a premature roof replacement.
- Debris – If you have some trees on your property that are overgrown and is starting to creep toward your home, it’s best to have them trimmed as soon as possible. This is because strong winds can easily cause the branches to snap and fall on your roof, which can cause serious damage. Leaves can also accumulate on your rain gutters, causing them to clog and retain moisture. The moisture can then seep into your roofing materials and result in rot and leaks.
- Thermal Shock – Your roofing system expands and contracts everyday due to a process known as thermal shock. Heat from the sun can cause the roof to stretch during the day and the cool night air can cause it to contract, which can cause various parts of the roof to pull away at critical areas or cause the roof itself to split.
- Maintenance Neglect – A roof needs to be properly maintained if you want it to last as long as expected or even longer than that. Failure to do so can result in great damage that can reduce your roof’s lifespan by a significant manner. With that in mind, make sure to have a professional inspect and maintain your roof every now and then to prevent damage.
- Ultraviolet Radiation and Heat – Once your roof is installed, the deterioration process of the material begins, thanks to the UV rays from the sun. Thanks to said UV rays, molecules of oxygen can mix with heated hydrocarbons in the asphalt and cause it to deteriorate. Molecular breakdown can also occur and make the roofing material dry and brittle until it loses its waterproofing qualities. Heat, on the other hand, can accelerate the breakdown process and cause the roof to lose its flexibility.
Turn to Coleman Roofing for your roof maintenance needs. We are your number one provider of metal roofs and roof replacement services. You can fill out our contact form to request a free quote. We homeowners in Lafayette, LA ,and other nearby areas.